Want to ask us something?

Send your question--any question-- to dsknight@deesknight.com. Please include your name and put Question in your subject line. Thanks!

Monday, September 13, 2010

Dressed for Success

Q: I just bought several new outfits for work. I bought everything on sale came home to show my sister all my bargains. She immediately turned up her nose and said that everything I bought was left over from summer fashion and it would show. Then I took a different look at my purchases and saw she was right—I have all light colors and thinner materials. I can't afford anything else but I don't want to look like a boob. What should I do?

Anne: Try using accessories to fill out the colors and add a little texture and heft. Scarves don't typically cost too much and add a great deal, for instance. Also, pair sweaters with your lighter wear, or jackets. They have the added advantage of layering so you'll be more comfortable in differing environments. Take heart! You saved money on your purchases and that's always a good way to start out. The fit of the clothes is of far more importance than the things your sister mentioned. Good luck at the new job!

Dee: I can't pretend to be a fashion nut like Anne. Her advice sounds good. I want to address your bitch of a sister. Tell her to fuck off. Who died and made her Fashion Queen? If you have clothes that fit and feel comfortable, go with them and let your sister be damned. I mean that in the nicest possible way, of course.