Want to ask us something?

Send your question--any question-- to dsknight@deesknight.com. Please include your name and put Question in your subject line. Thanks!

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Where Do I Start?

Q: What’s the best way for me to learn about sex and how to do it? I don’t want to look stupid.

Anne: How old are you??? I have a feeling you’re young enough that I should ask if you listen in health class, but that’s actually pretty darn young these days. I’d rather not offer advice on this topic unless I know I’m not talking to a 10-year-old.

Dee: Well, it’s sad but true that most 10-year-old kids today know more about sex than I did at 16. That’s not to say I didn’t make up for things at a later time. However, no matter how old you are if you’re interested enough to ask the question you deserve an answer of some sort. Talk to you parents (or one of them) if you feel you can. Talk to a teacher or other adult you trust. Do not ask your friends, who are just as ignorant as you on the topic. If you are considering jumping into the hot tub of sex, make sure you know that the water can be pretty damn hot and not fun or nice. Make sure you know how to be safe, first and foremost. Make sure you’re ready, which frankly, if you’re writing us the kind of question you did, you aren’t. I hope you step back and decide to be a kid for a while longer.