Want to ask us something?

Send your question--any question-- to dsknight@deesknight.com. Please include your name and put Question in your subject line. Thanks!

Monday, December 14, 2009

Those Pesky Little People to Buy For

Q: What do I give those people I associate with but hardly know for Christmas? This is a problem every year.

Anne: It depends on how much you want to spend and how personal you'd like the gift to be. Flowers, candy, gift cards to stores or restaurants--even fast food restaurants. I know of someone who buys $1 lottery tickets and that's what she gives in a nice card. Most stores have "Under $10…Under $15…Under $25" gift sections, so shop there. I always find it's a good idea to have some of those gifts on hand for that last minute guest who surprises you with a gift.

Dee: I always find it's a good idea to have some of those gifts on hand for that last minute guest who surprises you with a gift. If they surprise you, then too bad for them. A heartfelt, "Fuck! I thought we weren't exchanging gifts this year," should be sufficient. And to my way of thinking, if you hardly know someone you shouldn't have to give them anything. Isn't that why the holiday has gone to hell in a hand basket?? I swear, the same people who complain Christmas has become too commercial are the very ones who rush out to make sure the mailman or their beautician or the newspaper boy gets a gift. As for me, bah, humbug to all those people.

Unless you have a fruitcake you're trying to pawn off, be pleasant, smile, make each day a good one for those you interact with and forget trying to be nice on that one special day a year. That way, every day will be more like Christmas.