Want to ask us something?

Send your question--any question-- to dsknight@deesknight.com. Please include your name and put Question in your subject line. Thanks!

Monday, December 28, 2009

Is This the Year?

Q: Every year I hope for a marriage proposal on New Year's Eve, and for four years I've been disappointed. This past summer I broke off with my boyfriend after five years of dating. Last week he asked me to a party on Dec 31 but I've already accepted an invitation with someone else. My old boyfriend says he has something important to ask me, and now I think he really means to pop the question. Should I break my date and take another chance on him, or move on? I'm 31 and want a chance for happiness and a family, but I can't help it, I love this schmuck.

Anne: This close to New Year's Eve, it wouldn't be very fair to your current date to cancel. Besides, your old boyfriend doesn't exactly have a very good track record. Isn't last week a little late to ask you? Explain that you already have a date for the big night, but that you'd be happy to see him on New Year's Day and he can ask you the question then.

Dee: It seems to me the guy is either shocked by your break up and has finally seen the light, or he wants to push the envelope and see how tied to him you really are. I have the feeling it's the latter, which means nothing but bad things. If he really had feelings for you he'd ask you to marry him now, without waiting for the 31st. That way he would be assured you'd be his date for the beginning of the new year. Do not break your date. Your old boyfriend is playing games and you deserve better. (I assume.)