Want to ask us something?

Send your question--any question-- to dsknight@deesknight.com. Please include your name and put Question in your subject line. Thanks!

Monday, December 7, 2009

About to Pop the Question

Q: I can't believe I'm writing you two. It's not like I'm a romance novel fan or anything, but I know my girlfriend reads this blog so I thought I'd try to find out in a backhanded way if my suspicions are correct.

I have a ring burning a hole in my pocket that I planned to give to her this Christmas. Then while she and my mom and sister were out shopping yesterday I discovered when it rang that she left her cell phone at the house. I answered and a man's voice asked for her. He sounded very surprised to hear another man (me) on the other end. He said to let her know that Kenny's flight had been changed from Monday to Sunday, and that he couldn't wait to see her at the airport. When I asked for a number, he said she had it. I know she doesn't have brothers and I've never heard her mention a Kenny in the four years we've been dating. I have noticed in the last few months that she's cancelled dates every now and then--nothing major, nothing that made me suspect she was seeing someone else on the side. Now I'm not so sure. What do you think?

Anne: This isn't what I think it's what I know: ask her about this phone call now, immediately, without waiting another minute. Otherwise your suspicions will fester and there might be a logical explanation. If it's as bad as you think, better to find out now rather than after you ask her to marry you, or (yikes!) after you've said your vows.

Dee: Wake up and smell the fishsticks.

This is what I'd suggest. Before Sunday, take her out for a good dinner and then surprise her by going to a great hotel. Enjoy some wine and chocolate covered strawberries, then climb into a Jacuzzi. Last, carry her to bed and knock yourself out having the best sex the two of you have ever had. Give her one…two…three orgasms. Then ask her WTF this guy Kenny is doing calling her cell and sounding like a long lost bed buddy. If she has a good explanation (which, cynic that I am I tend not to think she will), then hooray. You've had a good time and a good laugh. If she admits to cheating, then she'll at least know what she'll be giving up. Unless...the sex isn't all that great between you two. In which case I agree with Anne: better to know now than later.